Tuesday, August 10, 2010

An empty nest


We missed the first of the three baby robins leaving the nest, but the second one just wasn't quite ready to fly and made his way to a spot under a tree where mama and papa tended him/her

I kept missing the best pictures of course......like the feeding.....
They sure grow up fast!
 
The last one........gone now as I write this post.
Poor little robin....walkin', walkin', walkin' to Missourri.....remember that song? LOL, I'm dating myself! Can you see that tiny little robin making his way across the grass? That little dot?
Off he went and stayed at the edge of the flower bed for about an hour....when I next checked, he was gone, probably to the back of the yard in the bit of bush, hiding in the underbrush until he could use his little wings. I could hear mama and papa, chirping at him over the course of the day and evening.
While we're at the flower bed, a few pictures for you.
The heat and humidity we've had lately and rain on and off have really pushed the blooms!
The sad thing is, then we will be on the downward side of summer!

I was very happy with the way the flowers planted in those big plastic swans spread and really made a very colorful display.


I will definitely plant these low bushy zinnias again next year. They have really been looking good. You can see some yellow ones in one of the pictures above this one. They are great!

SORRY, if I haven't been visiting, I really miss dropping by to your blogs and seeing what you've all been up to. I will catch up one of these days, meanwhile, I'll at least try to keep on posting!

6 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hi Sweetie...
What a beautiful share this evening. Oh my gosh, I so love your flowers. I would love to have some of your seeds when they go to seed.

Now you are a winter snow bird? When do you come to the valley? Oh sweet friend we must get together. I would so love that. Please keep me posted. You can email me: stoneshy@msn.com and let me know when you will be coming to the valley. I love meeting new friends and I spending time to get to know them.

Keep me posted. Love you sweet friend. Many hugs, Sherry

Chris Arlington said...

Lucy, I love your garden and collectables. Don't worry about blog hopping. Do you have a big green house to start all these seeds or start directly in the garden? We hired somebody with 35 years experience to do yard maintenance and he took a weedeater to my flowerbed . Needless to say he is fired.

Brenda Pruitt said...

You have beautiful blooms! For some strange reason I can't get zinnias to grow here. I sat here and laughed over that "dot" of a little robin. I hope he/she finds their wings soon and mama and papa can stop worrying.
Brenda

Lucy - By the Hill said...

In answer to you Chris......I buy bedding plants from the greenhouse, plunk, plunk, plunk, inbetween what perennials I have and eventually it looks good.
Weeds are there too but I always try to plant lots so the flowers hide them, lol! I do not weed too often!
I don't plant seeds 'cause they're too hard to find coming up with all the weeds that come up at the start of the summer!

Unknown said...

Oh' my goodness Lucy, your garden is spectacular! Even your lawn is so beautifully manicured. I miss having that kind of yard. And even as many flowers as I've had in the past it could not compare to this bounty of beauty.

Thanks for sharing your garden with me. ooxx's...Tracy :)

Anonymous said...

aww.... the photos with the robins :)